Victoria coach Andrew McDonald is confident Glenn Maxwell can come out firing in tomorrow's JLT One-Day Cup opener against Queensland after being overlooked for national selection.
Maxwell was the headline name on Tuesday when the Test squad for next month's Pakistan series was announced, with the omission of he and state teammate Peter Handscomb, as well as Queenslander Joe Burns, among the surprises.
McDonald empathised with the 29-year-old's situation but insisted it was nothing new for him, with the key being how quickly he can refocus on the business of making runs.
"It's natural to be disappointed but it's how long you stay in that state," McDonald told News Corp.
"One of the greatest challenges with having an Australian career is that you are always going to be in and out. These guys are used to it.
"'Maxi'' seems to have a pretty good grasp on it – that's the sense I get every time I talk to him."
Maxwell, who scored 707 runs at 50.50 at Sheffield Shield level last season and has a Test hundred in India to his name, spoke of his omission on Wednesday, and appeared to be very much on the same page as McDonald.
"I feel like I've still got some really good cricket years ahead of me. I think if I continue to play the way I have been in the last 12 months, the selections will eventually go my way.
"I feel like I'm getting better and better. Hopefully this is another year where I can prove people wrong and put a lot of runs on the board.
"Hopefully I can pile on enough runs this summer to keep pushing my case forward.
"I had a pretty good year last year so now I've just got to have another good year this year and hope selections go my way at some stage.
"The drive to wear that cap again for my country is still burning deep within me and I can't wait to hopefully wear it again one day. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen but I'll be doing everything within my power to get back out there and represent my country."
His first opportunity comes on Sunday against Queensland in Townsville, in the first match of the 50-over domestic tournament.
"I'd been hoping to start off this summer with that (Test) series and I suppose to not be involved is extremely disappointing, but the other positive is I'm able to play cricket straight away with the JLT Cup starting this weekend," he said.
"I'm able to get back out onto the field and try and put some runs on the board.
"(Australia coach Justin Langer) made it clear he wants more hundreds from me and that's fine, I'll try and give him that during this JLT and during the Shield season.
"I'll make sure I can give him what he wants."