South Africa’s injured pace spearhead Kagiso Rabada will be sidelined for a further 2-3 weeks, but the Proteas are hopeful he will be fit in time to take part in the World Cup.
Rabada sent a scare through the Proteas’ camp earlier this month when he complained of back soreness during the Indian Premier League and was sent home for further assessment.
In an update on Saturday, Cricket South Africa’s medical team said they had taken an “extra cautious” approach with Rabada due to his history of back complaints and were confident he will play a role in the tournament.
However, they expect him to be sidelined for a further two to three weeks, meaning he is yet to be confirmed as a certain starter for their tournament opener against England on May 30, less than three weeks away.
"The anticipated recovery period for KG’s injury is two to three weeks and we are hopeful he’ll make a full recovery to be part of the World Cup squad," said team doctor Mohammed Moosajee.
While the Proteas are confident about the fitness of Rabada, there are still question marks over fellow quicks Dale Steyn (shoulder) and Lungi Ngidi (side).
The Proteas indicated the pair will soon make the trip to the UK, but they did not confirm the duo will be fit to take part in the tournament.
"The selectors have ensured they have enough options on the table but there are some players that have been earmarked as standby players," Moosajee added.
All 15-man World Cup squads must be finalised by May 23, while injured players can be replaced during the tournament.
Last week, paceman Anrich Nortje was ruled out of the tournament due to a hand injury and replaced by veteran allrounder Chris Morris.